Gunfire at Philippine Senate Deepens ICC Crisis as Marcos Calls Emergency Meeting
President Ferdinand R. Marcos Jr. called an emergency meeting of senior government and security officials in Manila on Thursday, May 14, after gunshots rang out the previous night inside the Philippine Senate building, where Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa โ an International Criminal Court fugitive โ has been sheltering to avoid arrest. More than a dozen shots were fired, people inside scrambled for cover, and police recovered bullet casings, assault rifle magazines, and other items from the scene. No deaths were reported.
Senator Ronald M. dela Rosa, the former national police chief and chief enforcer of ex-President Rodrigo Duterte’s “war on drugs,” is wanted by the ICC for crimes against humanity โ the same charges Duterte himself faces. The shooting came hours after dela Rosa posted on social media urging supporters to mobilize, warning that law enforcement agents were moving to remove him from the legislature. BusinessWorld
The identity of the shooter remains unknown as of Thursday. Police spokesperson Randulf Tuano said one person had been detained and that investigations were underway, with bullet casings, assault rifle magazines, and other items recovered from the scene. BusinessWorld
“The person has provided names, but these still need confirmation,” Tuano told DZBB radio. BusinessWorld
It remained unclear on Thursday whether dela Rosa was still inside the Senate complex. His lawyer, Jimmy Bondoc, said he had spoken to dela Rosa during the night and believed he was still inside. “As his lawyer, I asked him if you have plans to leave, he said none,” Bondoc told reporters. BusinessWorld
President Marcos vowed late on Wednesday to get to the bottom of the incident. His office and government agencies have maintained that no order was issued to arrest dela Rosa, and no announcements had been made by Thursday afternoon identifying the individuals who officials said attempted to force their way into the building.
In an interview with DZBB aired early on Thursday, dela Rosa said he would “exhaust all available remedies” to block his transfer to the ICC. Having learned about the conditions under which Duterte was being held in The Hague, he said he was no longer willing to fight his case there. BusinessWorld
“Yes, things changed. It turns out it is not that easy to visit him,” dela Rosa said of Duterte. “If we were co-detainees there’s no assurance we would be placed in the same cell or even in the same facility.” BusinessWorld
The chaos at the Senate unfolded against a backdrop of deepening political conflict between the Marcos administration and the Duterte political family. On Monday, the Philippine House of Representatives voted to impeach Vice President Sara Duterte-Carpio, the former president’s daughter, on the same day the ICC unsealed its arrest warrant for dela Rosa. That timing sharpened accusations from the Duterte camp that the moves were coordinated.
Vice President Sara Duterte-Carpio, who was in The Hague visiting her father at the time of the shooting, accused the Marcos administration of weaponising state institutions against its political opponents. “What we are seeing now is the administration using all government resources to demolish political opposition or individuals who do not follow, agree with, or support [Marcos],” she said in comments shared by her office. BusinessWorld
She also charged that dela Rosa was on the verge of being subjected to what she called extraordinary rendition โ drawing a direct comparison to her father’s arrest last year. “That is how the world saw it then. And that is also what they are trying to do now to Senator Bato dela Rosa,” she said. BusinessWorld
The Marcos government has not publicly responded to those specific allegations.
Regional and Global Impact
The shooting and the surrounding political crisis carry implications beyond the Philippines. The ICC’s pursuit of dela Rosa โ following the transfer of Rodrigo Duterte to The Hague โ marks a significant extension of the court’s reach into Southeast Asia, a region where governments have historically resisted international judicial oversight.
The Philippines withdrew from the ICC in 2018 under Duterte, but the court maintains it retains jurisdiction over crimes committed before that withdrawal. Dela Rosa’s emergency appeal to the Philippine Supreme Court directly challenges that position. A Supreme Court ruling in his favour could set a legal precedent that limits the ICC’s enforcement capacity in countries that have exited the court. BusinessWorld
For the Marcos administration, the crisis creates a visible governance problem. The Senate โ a co-equal branch of government โ is now a flashpoint for armed confrontation, political standoffs, and international legal pressure simultaneously. How the government handles this episode will shape perceptions of institutional stability in the Philippines heading into the 2028 election cycle.
Background
Dela Rosa served as national police chief under Rodrigo Duterte and oversaw Project Double Barrel, a drug crackdown during which police reported more than 6,000 people were killed in operations โ all described by police as armed individuals who had resisted arrest. Human rights groups disputed that account, saying the real toll was likely higher and that systematic murders and cover-ups occurred. BusinessWorld
The ICC unsealed its arrest warrant for dela Rosa on Monday, May 11 โ the same day the House impeached Vice President Sara Duterte-Carpio. Dela Rosa appeared at the Senate that day to participate in a Senate presidency vote, and National Bureau of Investigation agents were present in an attempt to execute the warrant. He has remained in the Senate since, under protective custody granted by the chamber. BusinessWorld
Rodrigo Duterte was transferred to ICC custody last year and is set to become the first former Asian head of state to stand trial before the court.
What Happens Next
Dela Rosa’s emergency appeal before the Philippine Supreme Court is pending, with a ruling expected to determine whether the ICC warrant can be enforced on Philippine soil. President Marcos has convened security and government chiefs to assess the shooting and the broader standoff at the Senate. Police have confirmed an investigation is active, with at least one person in custody and more names under review, according to Tuano. Vice President Sara Duterte-Carpio faces an impeachment trial in the Senate, the outcome of which could end her political career and eliminate her from the 2028 presidential race. The Senate, which granted dela Rosa protective custody, has not indicated it will reverse that position. BusinessWorld



