Israel killed Izz al-Din al-Haddad, the commander-in-chief of Hamas’s military wing, the Izz al-Din al-Qassam Brigades, in an airstrike on Friday evening in the al-Rimal neighbourhood of Gaza City. Hamas confirmed his death on Saturday. Al-Haddad’s wife and daughter were also killed in the strike, his family confirmed to The Associated Press.
The Israel Defense Forces and the Shin Bet domestic security agency announced jointly that al-Haddad had been eliminated in what they described as a precise strike in the area of Gaza City. The Israeli strikes on Friday killed at least seven people, with more than 50 others injured and taken to Al-Shifa Hospital, according to emergency services in Gaza.
According to Israel’s public broadcaster, the Israeli Air Force used drones and fighter jets to strike the apartment where al-Haddad was allegedly hiding, while also targeting a vehicle leaving the area to prevent any possible escape.
Prior to the attack, the Air Force carried out a deception operation approved by Brigadier-General Omer Tischler, intended to prevent Hamas from detecting unusual activity in the western Negev and Gazan airspace and to keep Hamas’s military wing on low alert.
Israeli Defense Forces Chief of Staff Lieutenant-General Eyal Zamir described the operation as a landmark success. “In every conversation I held with the hostages who returned, the name of the arch-terrorist Izz al-Din al-Haddad, one of the chief perpetrators of the October 7 massacre and the head of Hamas’ military wing, came up again and again,” Zamir said. “Today, we succeeded in eliminating him. The IDF will continue to pursue our enemies, strike them, and hold accountable everyone who took part in the October 7 massacre.”
Hamas acknowledged the death in a formal statement on Saturday. Spokesman Hazem Qassem said in a video address: “This loss is profound, but this journey continues. This long, extended convoy of pure men, which included this great leader, ‘Abu Sohaib,’ this convoy continues its march, driven by hope for God’s victory. And it will complete its journey in the near future.” Qassem also called al-Haddad “one of the greatest fighters of our Palestinian people.”
Al-Haddad was considered one of the most important figures in Hamas, known within the movement as the “Ghost of al-Qassam” for the low profile he maintained throughout the war. Israel said he had assumed command after his predecessor, Mohammed Sinwar, was killed, making him the highest-ranking military commander of Hamas still present in Gaza.
Throughout the war, al-Haddad moved between numerous hiding places, was heavily involved in the hostage network in the Gaza Strip, and surrounded himself with hostages in an attempt to avoid strikes from the IDF. The Israeli military said he directed planning and execution of the October 7, 2023 attacks, according to Roya News.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Israel Katz said in a joint statement that al-Haddad “was responsible for the murder, kidnapping, and harming of thousands of Israeli citizens and IDF soldiers” and “held our hostages captive with severe cruelty.” The statement added that he had refused to implement what they described as an agreement led by United States President Donald Trump to disarm Hamas and demilitarize the Gaza Strip.
In November 2023, Israel had announced a $750,000 reward for information leading to al-Haddad’s location. His two sons were killed previously during the war, and his funeral was held Saturday in Gaza City, where his body was wrapped in Hamas and Palestinian flags and carried by mourners.
Regional and Global Impact
The attack came despite an ostensible ceasefire between Israel and Hamas that has been in place since October 2025. Israel has carried out regular strikes in Gaza that it says target Hamas or what officials describe as imminent threats to Israeli forces, which occupy more than half of the destroyed enclave.
Al-Haddad’s killing comes as the ceasefire remains fragile, with key issues such as the disarmament of Hamas stalling the deal’s progress. Despite the ceasefire, Gaza has seen near-daily Israeli fire, with more than 850 people killed since October, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry.
Hamas, in its official statement, said al-Haddad’s death represents a major blow but vowed that the path of armed resistance would continue, according to Roya News.
Background
Al-Haddad was born in Gaza in 1970 and joined Hamas in 1987, rising from unit commander to head of Gaza Brigade operations. He assumed command of the Gaza City Brigade after the killing of Hamas commander Bassem Issa in 2021. After Israel assassinated Hamas’s other senior leaders — including Yahya Sinwar, his brother Mohammed Sinwar, and Mohammed Deif — al-Haddad was considered one of the militant group’s top remaining decision-makers. His son Suhaib al-Haddad was reportedly killed in an Israeli strike on eastern Gaza City in January 2025. The October 7, 2023 attacks on Israel killed approximately 1,200 people and resulted in around 250 people being taken hostage into Gaza, according to Israeli government figures.
What Happens Next
Head of IDF Operations Major-General Itzik Cohen instructed the military to be ready on land, at sea, and in the air following the strike. Israeli officials have stated publicly that the military will continue targeting anyone connected to the October 7 attacks, according to Lieutenant-General Zamir’s statement. Hamas has vowed in its formal statement that armed operations will continue. Al-Haddad’s killing comes at a moment when ceasefire negotiations remain stalled over the question of Hamas disarmament, leaving the next phase of any political process unclear. No new round of talks has been formally announced as of Saturday, May 16.



