South Korea Eyes Rare Strike Ban at Samsung

Samsung Strike Begins as Seoul Weighs Emergency Order


More than 47,000 Samsung Electronics workers began an 18-day strike on Thursday after wage negotiations between the company and its union collapsed, sending shares of the South Korean chipmaker down 3%. The union had agreed to a mediation proposal from South Korea’s National Labor Relations Commission, but Samsung Electronics rejected it, the government body said. The walkout is now the largest labour action in Samsung’s history and one of the most consequential in South Korea in decades. CNBC

Choi Seung-ho, the spokesperson for the labour union, said in a statement on Wednesday that Samsung had requested more time for negotiations. Those talks ultimately failed to produce a deal before the strike deadline passed. CNBC

Samsung Electronics said the talks fell through because “accepting the labor union’s excessive demands as they are could undermine the fundamental principles of company management,” according to a company statement published by South Korean media outlet MoneyToday. The company added that it “will not give up on dialogue until the last moment,” and insisted that “there must be no strikes under any circumstances.” CNBC

The union’s core demands centre on the company’s performance-based bonus structure. Workers are seeking performance bonuses equivalent to 15% of Samsung’s operating profit, the removal of bonus payout caps, and a formalised bonus structure. Samsung’s management had offered to allocate 10% of operating profit to bonuses and provide a one-time special compensation package, according to South Korean news agency Yonhap. CNBCCNBC

The South Korean government is now weighing whether to invoke a rarely used legal mechanism to halt the action. An emergency arbitration order, which can be invoked by the labour minister if the country deems a dispute is likely to harm the economy or daily life, immediately prohibits industrial action for 30 days while the National Labor Relations Commission conducts mediation and arbitration. A South Korean government official said on Wednesday that talk of emergency arbitration was premature and that there was still time for dialogue. CNBCYahoo Finance

President Lee Jae Myung said on Wednesday that a certain union was “crossing the line” when it claimed a share of a company’s operating profit even before income tax is paid. His comments signalled growing impatience in the presidential office despite the administration’s broadly pro-labour stance. The government is seen as union-friendly, as President Lee is a former youth labourer who was injured on the job. Yahoo FinanceYahoo Finance

Finance Minister Koo Yun Cheol had warned last week that “strikes must never happen under any circumstances.” He wrote on X: “Samsung Electronics is an important company that the world is watching. Considering the current management situation and its impact on the national economy, both labor and management sides must continue to strive to achieve principled negotiations.” CNBC

Samsung chairman Lee Jae-yong on Saturday issued a rare public apology to customers worldwide for causing “worry and anxiety,” according to South Korean media reports. CNBC


Economic Stakes

The scale of potential economic damage has driven much of the government’s alarm. Samsung accounts for 22.8% of South Korea’s exports and 26% of the domestic stock market, employing more than 120,000 people and working with 1,700 suppliers, Prime Minister Kim Min-seok said. CNBC

The strike could in a worst-case scenario shave 0.5 percentage points off a forecast 2.0% expansion for the South Korean economy this year, according to an official from the country’s central bank, who declined to be named. Prime Minister Kim Min-seok warned that economic damage could balloon to as much as 100 trillion won if materials had to be disposed of due to a strike, saying, “What is more concerning is that a temporary pause on semiconductor manufacturing lines leads to months of inactivity.” Yahoo FinanceCNBC

South Korean officials said a major disruption of production at Samsung Electronics would translate to up to 1 trillion won ($664.7 million) in daily losses for the company. The union estimated an 18-day strike could cost Samsung about 30 trillion won, or about $20 billion. CNBC

The union pushed back on those figures. It said previous production pauses had occurred for equipment inspection, maintenance, and process adjustments, and that the government did not adequately review the union’s rebuttal materials and had focused solely on management claims. CNBC

A rally on April 23, which drew 40,000 workers, led to a 58% drop in foundry production and an 18% decline in Samsung’s memory production that day, the union said. CNBC


Political Dimension

The dispute carries direct electoral weight. South Koreans go to the polls on June 3 to elect mayors and governors across the country and the strike has the potential to sway swing districts. Currently, Lee’s liberals are expected to dominate. The liberals are wary that they may lose labour votes, their traditional support base. Lee also wants to capture the moderate Gyeonggi province, which has seen its economy boom thanks to the tens of thousands who work at Samsung facilities there. Yahoo Finance


Background

An emergency arbitration order has been invoked just four times in modern South Korean history. It puts a strike on hold for 30 days and requires both sides to continue talks mediated by the government’s National Labor Relations Commission. Anyone refusing to comply faces up to two years in prison or a 20 million won ($13,300) fine. The last time the measure was invoked was in 2005, when Korean Air pilots walked off the job but agreed to a compromise pay hike after four days. Yahoo Finance

A South Korean court had previously ordered that the strike not interfere with safety protection facilities or obstruct work, to prevent damage to facilities and semiconductor wafers. That ruling limits, but does not eliminate, the walkout’s production impact. CNBC


What Happens Next

If the National Labor Relations Commission considers that mediation has failed, the next step is an arbitration process under a separate panel that will hear from both parties before making a binding decision. The government has not yet formally invoked the emergency order as of Wednesday, leaving the 30-day clock unstarted. South Korean government officials, including President Lee and Prime Minister Kim, had urged both sides to reach an agreement in the days leading up to the strike. The June 3 local elections add a firm political deadline by which the government will be under pressure to resolve โ€” or be seen as having managed โ€” the dispute. Whether the labour minister moves to invoke emergency arbitration in the coming days will determine whether the 18-day walkout runs its full course. Yahoo FinanceCNBC

Hot this week

China Expands Services for Migrant Workers

China announced new national guidelines on Friday to expand...

Netherlands Bans Israeli Settlement Goods

The Netherlands said they will not allow any goods...

Three Killed in Hate Attack on San Diego Mosque

On Monday, May 18, when two gunmen opened...

IRGC Warns of Crushing Response to Any New Strike

Commander Hassan Zadeh says that Iranian forces are really...

London Expands Facial Recognition After Court Win

The Metropolitan Police in London did something on Monday,...

Topics

China Expands Services for Migrant Workers

China announced new national guidelines on Friday to expand...

Netherlands Bans Israeli Settlement Goods

The Netherlands said they will not allow any goods...

Three Killed in Hate Attack on San Diego Mosque

On Monday, May 18, when two gunmen opened...

IRGC Warns of Crushing Response to Any New Strike

Commander Hassan Zadeh says that Iranian forces are really...

London Expands Facial Recognition After Court Win

The Metropolitan Police in London did something on Monday,...

Saudi Arabia Halts New Western Consultancy Deals

Saudi Arabia Cuts Western Consultant ContractsSaudi Arabia has stopped...

MOL Tiszaรบjvรกros Blast Leaves One Dead, Seven Hurt

Hungary MOL Plant Blast Kills One, Injures SevenAn explosion...

Morocco Arrests 100 Migrants Daily in EU-Backed Push

Morocco Arrests Over 100 Migrants Daily in EU-Backed Deportation...

Related Articles

Popular Categories