Tehran Hosts Wartime Mass Wedding Ceremonies

Iranian authorities held mass wedding ceremonies in Tehran on Monday for couples who joined a state-backed initiative pledging support for Iran’s war effort against Israel and the United States, according to Iranian state media and AFP. The ceremonies involved hundreds of couples across several public squares in the Iranian capital, including more than 100 couples gathered at Imam Hossein Square in central Tehran.

According to Roya News and AFP, the weddings were broadcast on Iranian state television as officials sought to project public unity during an ongoing regional conflict and a fragile ceasefire that followed fighting which began on February 28. Iranian media said the participants had registered under the “self-sacrifice initiative,” known in Persian as “janfada,” through which volunteers pledged readiness to support wartime operations.

The ceremonies featured military imagery throughout the event. AFP photographs published by Arab News and CBS News showed couples arriving at Imam Hossein Square in military jeeps fitted with mounted machine guns. Clerics presided over the marriage ceremonies on public stages decorated with balloons and portraits of Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei.

Iranian authorities said millions of citizens had joined the self-sacrifice initiative, including Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf and President Masoud Pezeshkian, according to Iranian state media cited by Reuters-affiliated reports and AFP. Organizers said volunteers committed to assisting wartime infrastructure protection efforts, including forming human chains outside energy facilities and power stations.

“The country is certainly at war, but young people also have the right to get married,” a bride wearing a white wedding dress told Mehr News Agency during the ceremony, according to footage cited by Roya News. Her statement was broadcast on Iranian media channels covering the event.

A groom speaking beside his bride said the timing of the wedding held religious importance. “We have received their blessings. Moreover, we came to offer our best wishes to people in the streets,” he told Mehr News Agency, referring to the anniversary of the marriage of Imam Ali and Fatimah, the daughter of the Prophet Muhammad.

Iranian state media reported that 110 couples participated in the Imam Hossein Square ceremony alone, while additional ceremonies took place in other districts across Tehran. Images carried by AFP and published by Arab News showed crowds gathered around the public celebrations carrying flowers and watching the ceremonies.

The events took place as tensions between Iran, Israel, and the United States remained elevated despite a ceasefire announced earlier in April. According to AFP and CBS News, US President Donald Trump has repeatedly warned that Washington could resume military action against Iran if ceasefire terms collapse.

Iranian authorities have intensified public mobilization campaigns since the outbreak of fighting earlier this year. According to Roya News, officials have organized near-daily pro-government rallies and televised gatherings intended to demonstrate support for the government and wartime policies.

The public weddings also carried political symbolism tied to Iran’s leadership transition. AFP photographs showed a large portrait of Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei displayed at the venue. Iranian media said Mojtaba Khamenei assumed the position following the death of former Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei during the opening phase of the conflict on February 28.

Regional analysts cited by Middle East media outlets said the ceremonies reflected Tehran’s broader effort to combine religious symbolism, nationalism, and public participation during wartime. However, officials quoted by Iranian media framed the gatherings primarily as demonstrations of social solidarity and morale.

The conflict has continued to affect diplomatic relations across the Middle East. According to Reuters and regional broadcasters, Gulf states have urged restraint from both Washington and Tehran while maintaining heightened security measures around energy infrastructure and transport corridors.

The United States and Israel have both accused Iran of supporting armed regional groups and threatening regional security. Iranian officials have rejected those accusations and said the country is defending itself against foreign aggression and sanctions pressure.

Background:

The fighting between Iran, Israel, and the United States began on February 28 following coordinated strikes targeting Iranian military and nuclear-linked sites, according to AFP and CBS News. A ceasefire took effect on April 8 after international mediation efforts involving Gulf states. Iranian authorities have since organized large public demonstrations and patriotic events across several cities. Tehran has also expanded recruitment and volunteer campaigns tied to civil defense and infrastructure protection programs. Iranian state television has increased wartime programming and coverage of public mobilization activities since the conflict began.

What happens next:

Iranian officials said additional public mobilization events and ceremonies are expected in Tehran and other major cities in the coming weeks, according to state media reports. The ceasefire between Iran and Israel remains in effect, though US officials have continued warning of possible renewed military action if negotiations fail. Iranian authorities said the self-sacrifice initiative will continue recruiting volunteers for wartime support roles. Diplomatic contacts involving Gulf states and international mediators are also expected to continue as efforts to preserve the ceasefire move forward.

Hot this week

China Expands Services for Migrant Workers

China announced new national guidelines on Friday to expand...

Netherlands Bans Israeli Settlement Goods

The Netherlands said they will not allow any goods...

Three Killed in Hate Attack on San Diego Mosque

On Monday, May 18, when two gunmen opened...

IRGC Warns of Crushing Response to Any New Strike

Commander Hassan Zadeh says that Iranian forces are really...

London Expands Facial Recognition After Court Win

The Metropolitan Police in London did something on Monday,...

Topics

China Expands Services for Migrant Workers

China announced new national guidelines on Friday to expand...

Netherlands Bans Israeli Settlement Goods

The Netherlands said they will not allow any goods...

Three Killed in Hate Attack on San Diego Mosque

On Monday, May 18, when two gunmen opened...

IRGC Warns of Crushing Response to Any New Strike

Commander Hassan Zadeh says that Iranian forces are really...

London Expands Facial Recognition After Court Win

The Metropolitan Police in London did something on Monday,...

Saudi Arabia Halts New Western Consultancy Deals

Saudi Arabia Cuts Western Consultant ContractsSaudi Arabia has stopped...

MOL Tiszaújváros Blast Leaves One Dead, Seven Hurt

Hungary MOL Plant Blast Kills One, Injures SevenAn explosion...

Morocco Arrests 100 Migrants Daily in EU-Backed Push

Morocco Arrests Over 100 Migrants Daily in EU-Backed Deportation...

Related Articles

Popular Categories