USS Gerald R. Ford Home After 324-Day Record Deployment

The USS Gerald R. Ford, the world’s largest aircraft carrier, docked at Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia, on Saturday, May 16, completing a 324-day deployment — the longest by a United States Navy aircraft carrier since the Vietnam War. Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Daryl Caudle announced the homecoming during a House Armed Services Committee hearing, confirming the carrier’s arrival at its Norfolk homeport after more than 320 days at sea.

The Ford departed Naval Station Norfolk on June 24, 2025, under the command of Captain Jacob Rose, initially setting out for the Caribbean. Over the following eleven months, the ship’s mission shifted repeatedly across three combatant commands, placing its crew in three distinct operational theaters.

The carrier operated in the High North region alongside NATO allies and in the Eastern Mediterranean before heading to United States Southern Command as part of the Trump administration’s naval buildup leading up to Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro’s removal in January 2026. Aircraft from the Ford’s Carrier Air Wing 8 participated in that operation. The strike group supported Operations Southern Spear and Absolute Resolve during its time in the Caribbean.

The ship was then redirected eastward. Tensions with Iran escalated and the Ford headed toward the Middle East, taking part in the opening days of the Iran war from the Mediterranean Sea before passing through the Suez Canal and entering the Red Sea in early March 2026. There, it joined the USS Abraham Lincoln carrier strike group already operating in the region. The Ford conducted combat operations in support of Operation Epic Fury in the United States 5th Fleet area.

The deployment was not without setbacks. A fire in one of the carrier’s laundry spaces forced it to turn around and return to the Mediterranean Sea for repairs, leaving hundreds of sailors without places to sleep. The ship underwent maintenance in Croatia before resuming operations.

The Ford broke the record for the longest post-Vietnam War deployment on April 15, when it surpassed the USS Abraham Lincoln’s 2020 deployment of 295 days. The Abraham Lincoln’s record was set during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Ford’s deployment falls short of the longest recorded during the Cold War — that record is held by the now-decommissioned USS Midway, which was deployed for 332 days in 1972 and 1973.

Admiral Caudle, addressing lawmakers on Thursday, did not frame the record as a straightforward achievement. “It is an incredible record-breaking deployment,” he said. “Hasn’t been one that long since the Vietnam War. That’s a backhanded compliment to the Navy. On one side, I wish I had more capacity to flow additional strike groups in the theater. And on the other hand, the durability and the way we construct our ships actually shows what can be done with that new class.”

During the deployment, Carrier Air Wing 8 conducted more than 11,500 flight operations. Rear Admiral Rich Brophy, commander of Naval Air Force Atlantic, praised the air wing’s performance. “The officers and sailors of Carrier Air Wing 8 have served their nation with distinction,” Brophy said. “Throughout their record-breaking deployment, these aviators successfully conducted worldwide operations, embodying the highest ideals of resilience, courage and selfless service to the nation.”

The extended deployment raises serious questions about ship readiness and personnel strain. Acting Secretary of the Navy Hung Cao told lawmakers on the House Appropriations Committee that for every 30 days a ship is extended on deployment, maintenance requirements increase by 6 percent — meaning the Ford’s roughly five-month extension beyond a standard seven-month deployment adds approximately 30 percent to its expected maintenance load.

Senator Tim Kaine, who had previously written to the Navy expressing concern after the fire destroyed more than a hundred beds aboard the ship, said he believes the vessel will face significant damage from both the fire and the length of time it was deployed, and raised doubts about when the ship will be able to access repairs given that shipyards are already overburdened.

The Ford’s return also reignited the congressional debate over the legal authority for United States military operations against Iran. Senator Kaine pushed for a War Powers Resolution vote on Capitol Hill on Thursday, which was defeated for a sixth time by lawmakers. “We need to get every lawmaker on the record for where they stand on this illegal war,” Kaine said. “Our men and women should not be fighting and dying for a war that has not even been approved by Congress.”

The arrival of the USS George H.W. Bush to the Middle East region last week meant three American aircraft carriers were deployed there simultaneously — a number not seen since 2003 — during a tenuous ceasefire in the Iran conflict.

Background

The USS Gerald R. Ford was delivered to the United States Navy in May 2017 and commissioned by President Donald Trump during a July 2017 ceremony. It is the lead ship of the Ford class, the Navy’s newest and largest carrier class. Admiral Caudle noted that the ship set a world-record sortie generation rate during the deployment, a benchmark that reflects how quickly aircraft can be launched from the flight deck. The previous post-Cold War carrier deployment record of 294 days was set by the USS Abraham Lincoln in 2019 and 2020.

What Happens Next

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, asked about the Ford’s extended deployment at a House Armed Services Committee hearing, said he had consulted with the Navy and that officials acknowledged readiness and maintenance tradeoffs. The carrier is expected to undergo a significant maintenance period at Norfolk, with the scope and timeline driven by the fire damage and the wear accumulated over 324 days at sea. Senator Kaine said shipyard capacity remains a concern, as existing facilities are already handling a backlog of other vessels. The Ford’s replacement in the Middle East theater will be handled by the carrier strike groups already positioned in the region. No formal timeline for the Ford’s return to operational readiness has been publicly announced.

Hot this week

UK Minister Praises Israel After Gaza Flotilla Row

The British government stood up for its ties, with...

RBI Sold $9.8 Billion as Rupee Slumped

India’s central bank sold nearly $9.8 billion in foreign...

China Expands Services for Migrant Workers

China announced new national guidelines on Friday to expand...

Netherlands Bans Israeli Settlement Goods

The Netherlands said they will not allow any goods...

Three Killed in Hate Attack on San Diego Mosque

On Monday, May 18, when two gunmen opened...

Topics

UK Minister Praises Israel After Gaza Flotilla Row

The British government stood up for its ties, with...

RBI Sold $9.8 Billion as Rupee Slumped

India’s central bank sold nearly $9.8 billion in foreign...

China Expands Services for Migrant Workers

China announced new national guidelines on Friday to expand...

Netherlands Bans Israeli Settlement Goods

The Netherlands said they will not allow any goods...

Three Killed in Hate Attack on San Diego Mosque

On Monday, May 18, when two gunmen opened...

IRGC Warns of Crushing Response to Any New Strike

Commander Hassan Zadeh says that Iranian forces are really...

London Expands Facial Recognition After Court Win

The Metropolitan Police in London did something on Monday,...

Saudi Arabia Halts New Western Consultancy Deals

Saudi Arabia Cuts Western Consultant ContractsSaudi Arabia has stopped...

Related Articles

Popular Categories